Wednesday, November 20, 2013



Into the Wild



I read somewhere... how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong...

but to feel strong.



That's what the protagonist set out to discover for himself. 
If he could feel stronger, if he could be confident and if he could enjoy what he was doing.
























Early in his senior year at Woodson,                        
Chris informed his parents that he had no
intention of going to college. 
When Walt and Billie suggested that he needed a
college degree to attain a fulfilling career, 
Chris answered that careers were
demeaning “twentieth-century inventions,” 
more of a liability than an asset, and
that he would do fine without one, thank you.







Her son, the teenage Tolstoyan, believed that wealth was shameful,
corrupting, inherently evil—which is ironic because Chris was a natural-born
capitalist with an uncanny knack for making a buck. “Chris was always an
entrepreneur,” Billie says with a laugh. “Always.”



"Alaska has long been a magnet for dreamers and misfits, people who
think the unsullied enormity of the Last Frontier will patch all the holes in their
lives. The bush is an unforgiving place, however, that cares nothing for hope or
longing."



“You could tell right away that Alex was intelligent,” Wester-berg reflects,
draining his third drink. “He read a lot. Used a lot of big words. I think maybe
part of what got him into trouble was that he did too much thinking."

"Thus the
story has no picture book for the period May 10, 1991-January 7, 1992. But this
is not important. It is the experiences, the memories, the great triumphant joy
of living to the fullest extent in which real meaning is found. God it’s great to
be alive! Thank you. Thank you."


"“When Alex left for Alaska,” Franz remembers, “I prayed. I asked God to keep
his finger on the shoulder of that one; I told him that boy was special. But he let
Alex die. So on December 26, when I learned what happened, I renounced the
Lord. I withdrew my church membership and became an atheist. I decided I
couldn’t believe in a God who would let something that terrible happen to a boy
like Alex.




"When I first started
coming to Alaska, I think I was probably a lot like McCandless: just as green, just
as eager. And I’m sure there are plenty of other Alaskans who had a lot in
common with McCandless when they first got here, too, including many of his
critics. Which is maybe why they’re so hard on him. Maybe McCandless reminds
them a little too much of their former selves.”"






No comments:

Post a Comment